There are so many services a Senior Move Manager can provide. Here are some sample questions you may want to ask to find out if the company is a good fit for you.
The following questions are suggested by the National Association of Senior Moves Managers (NASMM):
• How long have you been providing senior move management services?
• Have you participated in any formal training?
• Are you fully insured for liability and workers’ compensation?
• Do you charge by the hour or by project? (NASMM recommends fees should be provided in writing to the consumer or responsible party prior to providing services.)
• Will you provide a written contract?
• Can you provide references?
• Are you a member of the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)?
• Do you offer customized floor plans?
• Do you provide organizing, sorting and downsizing services?
• Do you arrange for the profitable disposal of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, buy-out, consignment, donation, or a combination?
• Do you interview, schedule and oversee movers?
• How is the billing arranged for the movers?
• Do you pack or do you hire a moving company to perform the packing? (If the Senior Move Manager indicates they pack, make sure they have the appropriate insurance to cover any damages.)
• Do you completely unpack and set up the new home? (These services include unpacking everything, hanging pictures, draperies, installing electronics, etc.)
• Will you handle the transfer of my utilities, mailing address etc?
• What additional services do you offer?
Items you might also want your senior moves manager to include:
• house cleaning
• waste removal
• senior escort
• assisting with selection of a realtor
• helping prepare the home to be sold